Current:Home > MarketsTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial -WealthTrail Solutions
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-04 23:24:33
NEW YORK (AP) — A former high-ranking Mexican official tried to bribe fellow inmates into making false statements to support his bid for a new trial in a U.S. drug case,TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center a judge found Wednesday in rejecting Genaro García Luna ‘s request.
García Luna, who once held a cabinet-level position as Mexico’s top public safety official, was convicted last year of taking payoffs to protect the drug cartels he was supposed to go after. He is awaiting sentencing and denies the charges.
Prosecutors discovered his alleged jailhouse bribery efforts and disclosed them in a court filing earlier this year, citing such evidence as a former cellmate’s handwritten notes and covert recording of a conversation with García Luna. His lawyers said the allegations were bogus and the recording was ambiguous.
But U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan found them believable.
“This was a clear scheme by defendant to obstruct justice through bribery,” Cogan wrote.
He also turned down defense lawyers’ other arguments for a new trial, including assertions that some prosecution witness gave false testimony at trial and that the defense wasn’t given some potentially helpful information that prosecutors were obliged to turn over.
“We are extraordinarily disappointed with the court’s decision,” defense lawyer César de Castro said, adding that “the court did not address fundamental problems with this prosecution.”
García Luna plans to appeal, his lawyer said.
Prosecutors declined to comment on Wednesday’s decision.
After the verdict, defense attorneys submitted a sworn statement from an inmate who said he got to know a prosecution witness at a Brooklyn federal jail before García Luna’s trial.
The inmate said that the witness vowed he was “going to screw” García Luna by testifying against him, and that the witness talked on a contraband cellphone to a second government witness.
Defense lawyers said the alleged comments buttressed their claim that García Luna was framed by cartel members and corrupt officials seeking leniency for themselves. The purported cellphone conversations also could have contradicted prosecutors’ argument that the witnesses were credible because they hadn’t talked in years, so couldn’t have coordinated their stories.
But prosecutors said in a March court filing that the inmate who gave the sworn statement has a psychotic disorder with hallucinations. In government interviews, the witnesses denied the alleged communications, according to prosecutors.
And, they said, García Luna, who’s at the same Brooklyn lockup, offered other inmates as much as $2 million to make similar claims about communications among the witnesses. He also asked one of the inmates to persuade yet another to say he’d overheard a cellphone conversation involving the second government witness about concocting a false claim of having bribed García Luna, according to prosecutors.
The intermediary, whom defense lawyers identified as a former García Luna cellmate, made the notes and recording.
The judge concluded that García Luna’s lawyers didn’t know about his endeavors.
García Luna, 56, was convicted on charges that include engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise. He faces at least 20 years and as much as life in prison at his sentencing Oct. 9.
García Luna was Mexico’s public security secretary from 2006 to 2012.
veryGood! (78428)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Los Angeles area sees more dengue fever in people bitten by local mosquitoes
- WNBA MVP odds: Favorites to win 2024 Most Valuable Player award
- Ulta & Sephora 1-Day Deals: 50% Off Lancome Monsieur Big Volumizing Mascara, MAC Liquid Lipstick & More
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Elle King Reveals She and Dan Tooker Are Back Together One Year After Breakup
- High School Musical’s Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens' Relationship Ups and Downs Unpacked in Upcoming Book
- Jean Smart, Ariana Grande, Michael Keaton among hosts for ‘SNL’ season 50
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- New Orleans Regional Transit Authority board stalled from doing business for second time this year
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Bryce Young needs to escape Panthers to have any shot at reviving NFL career
- Jon Gruden wants to return to coaching. Could he find spot in college football?
- A Company’s Struggles Raise Questions About the Future of Lithium Extraction in Pennsylvania
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Tupperware, company known for its plastic containers, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Jordan Love injury update: Is Packers QB playing Week 3 vs. Titans?
- Jean Smart, Ariana Grande, Michael Keaton among hosts for ‘SNL’ season 50
Recommendation
Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
WNBA MVP odds: Favorites to win 2024 Most Valuable Player award
Target Fall Clothes That Look Expensive: Chic Autumn Outfits on a Budget
Sheriff’s posting of the mugshot of a boy accused of school threat draws praise, criticism
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Nearly 138,000 beds are being recalled after reports of them breaking or collapsing during use
Authorities find body believed to be suspect in Kentucky highway shooting
Drake London’s shooting celebration violated longstanding NFL rules against violent gestures